I have a broad general practice that includes:
• Real Estate (Residential and Commercial)
• Wills, Estates and Powers of Attorney
• Family Law (Separation Agreements, Cohabitation Agreements, or Prenuptial Agreements)
• Corporate/Commercial Law (Purchase/Sale of a Business; Commercial Lease Work)
• Contract Law
I obtained my Bachelor of Commerce (honors) degree from the University of Manitoba in 1977 and my law degree from the same university in 1986. I worked for 6 years in sales and management in the large-scale computer industry for multinational computer firms, and, after obtaining my law degree, I articled and then practiced law at a major Bay Street (Toronto) law firm. I returned to Winnipeg in 1988, and most recently (approximately 8 years) have been practicing law from my Scurfield Boulevard location in Winnipeg.
For a 2 ½ year period between 1989 and 1991, I took time off from full-time law practice to create and operate the student placement centre at the University of Manitoba (“U of M”) Faculty of Management (now the Asper School of Business). I have otherwise practiced law on a full-time basis since 1988.
1. The Commercial Law course (GMGT 3300) for the Asper School of Business at the University of Manitoba (since 1991); and
2. The Introduction to Commercial Law course (BUS 3660) for the Department of Business and Administration at the University of Winnipeg.
My Personal Life
I am married to Susan, a grade school teacher in the Winnipeg School Division. Our son is in full-time attendance at Memorial University in Newfoundland, while our daughter is in full-time attendance at the University of Winnipeg. When it comes to outside activities, my passion (not necessarily skill set) is golf. When I’m not at work or with my family, I am likely to be at the golf course!
Memberships and Participation
I have been practicing at Harrison Law Office since the beginning of 2004, as well as lecturing and teaching at the University of Manitoba and the University of Winnipeg. I have been a board or committee member of several organizations, including:
• Data Processing Management Association-Winnipeg (president)
• A Committee established to define the terms for creation of the Council on Post-Secondary Education
• School Bus Safety Committee established by the Ministry of Education (past chair)
• Certified General Accountants Association of Manitoba Board (past board member and now honourary CGA)